Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pre-trip sticker shock

As we've been pseudo-planning this trip to Argentina, I've gotten used to hearing how cheap everything is.The co-worker who "ate like a king" for less than $10, the NY Times travel piece a few years ago that described dining out in BA as "embarrassingly inexpensive." All of these data points have reinforced the idea that our dollars will go far. Sure, that information is from a while ago, and I know the peso has been steadily gaining ground over the past decade since the economy collapsed, but I've been using the $10 meal as a rough mental average for budgeting purposes. I think this will still be fine, but doing a little blog surfing today I came across some interesting restaurants and took a peek at the menus online. Take this one for example.

Wow. $95 ARS for an entree? At today's exchange rate, that's over $22 USD, which is comparable to what I would pay at a nice Oakland restaurant. Sure, it's a fancy, new, trendy place and probably among the most expensive in BA, but I'm beginning to think we'll be spending a bit more on food, drink, and entertainment than I had originally budgeted. I'm glad we got an apartment with a kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment